Tutorials -

Brightening the Burrow

One of our little minions has been begging to get this set for ages now.  And she finally found it and bought it for herself with her pocket money - all because she absolutely loves Bellatrix and wanted the minifigure!

This is the original 'The Burrow' set 4840.

 

Recently we have been contacted about lighting up the new "Attack on the Burrow" set 75980.  We don't have that set to play with, but we might as well light up ours to give an idea how to do it!

This was a tricky job as there's not much scope to hide the wires - quite a common issue with smaller models.

We started by popping the whole top section - both the upper rooms - off the model and fitting lights there.  

The candle in the window was an obvious choice.  The 30cm White Bit Light went between the goblet and the cone, then routed under the window and throw the bricks down to the room below.

And for the room beneath we used our favourite brick - the trans-clear 2x2 inverted plate.  These are great for holding a single bit light in place to light up a smaller room.

We did our best to push the wires into the corner there so they're not too visible, and they're certainly not in the way.

Putting that top section aside we used 4 x Micro Bit Lights for the chandelier.  We could have made do with a single Bit Light here, but Micro Lights are great where a normal LED won't fit and four make a nice bright light together.

Easy to fit - just poke the end of a Micro Bit Light into the narrow end of the trans-yellow cone pieces and then push that end back into place in the 2x2 plate above.  Repeat for all four, and then twist and tangle the wires together into a neat bundle. 

 

The Micro Expansion board connects to a normal 6 port expansion board using a little 5cm cable.

Finally we used another 2x2 trans clear inverted plate to stick a bit light into the porch at the front of the house.  It seemed appropriate.

Putting it Together

And now we put the model back together.  We carefully replaced the upper section and made the cables run as neatly as possible.  They're visible, but not too bad.

The two cables from the upper rooms and the bit light from the porch were connected to the 6 port expansion board.  

We added a nice long 50cm cable to the board too, so we could hide the battery pack away from the model.  

Then we used tweezers and fat fingers to push the cables into that tiny room above the porch.  It's not perfect, and if you look there's a mess, but from most angles it can't be seen so we're happy with that!

The End Result

We're pretty happy with this.  It's simple but effective.

Parts Used

This project used the following components:

  • 3 x 30cm White Bit Lights
  • 1 x 6 Port Expansion Board
  • 1 x 4 Port Micro Expansion Board
  • 4 x 15cm Micro Bit Lights (White)
  • 1 x 5cm Connecting Cable
  • 1 x 50cm Connecting Cable
  • 1 x AA Battery Pack
  • 1 x 2 Port Expansion Board (purely to link the 50cm cable to the battery pack)

All these parts can be found in our DIY Components - contact us if you would like a quote for a custom bundle like this!

 


1 comment

  • Graham Stevenson-Cooke

    That’s great. Will serve as inspiration for when I have a go at the new one once it arrives and the wife lets me play with it!

Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published

Brightening the Burrow