All together now - Our whole universe was in a hot, dense state...
And now we've put that in your ear, let's light up the Big Bang Theory!
Here's how it looks without lights to start with.
What about the official Kit?
We're not using the kit today! This project is for our home LEGO display and we do like to tinker.
The original Light My Bricks kit was also designed before we had the wonder that is Micro Bit Lights. As such we have the chance to make this even better.
We've kept the same basic design but made a heap of little changes.
Both the wall lights were done with Micro Bit Lights. These are almost completely hidden as they go through the walls.
The Green Lantern has a 15cm Green Micro Bit Light. Using White inside a coloured LEGO brick works great - but using a coloured LED makes for a stronger colour.
We didn't light up the plasma sphere. We felt it was too many lights on the shelf.
The red light (is it a lava lamp?) again has a Red Micro Bit Light rather than a normal White Bit Light.
Being Micro Bit Lights it was no trouble to run the cables straight through the back wall.
Here's those shelf lights - don't ask why the Red light looks pink. It is red in real life!
The table lamp next to Sheldon's Spot was done simple with a 15cm White Bit Light. The fits through the table and up the outside of the LEGO Telescope piece and just sits inside the white lamp shade. The wire runs simply across the floor to the rear and under the door frame. Positioned where it is you won't notice the wire normally.
We looked at hiding that wire better, but even a Micro Bit Light isn't small enough to fit through a telescope piece and we didn't want to cut and re-solder the wire to do so. It's a small concession and looks good we think.
Finally we added a single 30cm White Bit Light on the rear side of the small section of wall leading to the bedrooms (above the whiteboard in our photo).
This lights up the whole desk area nicely without being too bright. A strip light would have been too much. A small adhesive square holds it in place there.
As you can see, the result seen from the front is a nice warm glow illuminating the whole area.
Hiding the Wires
This is always the fun part, but as this is a display piece in a cabinet we had some freedom. Or other others - we can be really messy and it's fine!
The desk area light and the right-hand wall light run along the side wall at the bottom. There's no need to secure them in place really, but we used that odd grey piece to hold them where they go around the corner.
Then at the back all the wires and the two expansion boards are stuck to the back wall. They're totally out of sight so this works great.
As usual we used an AA battery pack whilst working on this, and later replaced this with connecting cables into the power supply wires fitted to our display cabinets.
To achieve this effect we used:
- 1 x 4 port Micro Expansion Board
- 1 x 6 port Expansion Board
- 1 x 15cm Micro Bit Light (White)
- 1 x 30cm Micro Bit Light (White)
- 1 x 15cm Micro Bit Light (Red)
- 1 x 15cm Micro Bit Light (Green)
- 1 x 15cm Bit Light (White)
- 1 x 30cm Bit Light (White)
- 1 x 5cm Connecting Cable
- 1 x AA Battery Pack (USB would work here too, of course)
The End Result
It's a small set but it's a beauty and these 6 lights make it so much better. We're really happy with the result and hope it gives you some ideas how to light up your models.